Saturday, August 29, 2009

Let's Talk Curriculum...just for fun:)

Warning: This post will only be interesting to homeschoolers.

Since we are already 3 weeks into our school year (we start when Chad goes back so we are on his schedule) I have an idea of what I like by now.



First of all, I am LOVING Rod and Staff English. I researched for a while what English (grammar & writing) curriculum to use with Brooke for 2nd grade. I didn't use a "formal" curriculum for writing & grammar before 2nd grade; I just had Brooke write each day. I looked into and read reviews for lots of curriculums. I finally decided on R & S for English for the following reasons:



The Well-Trained Mind and Cathy Duffy AND Homeschool Reviews ALL gave it raving reviews so I figured it must be good;)



It's non-consumable. For math, I like a workbook they can write in. But for English, I like that it's non-consumable. That way, we can do a lot of the exercises orally and I feel more freedom to skip some of the work.



It's Christ-centered. If my kids are learning to write, I want them writing about things that matter, and I like that the curriculum is engaging their souls along with their mind.



It's thorough and very easy to understand.



It's cheap; yes, for me that's important too:-)



We're only using the student book (I don't use teacher's manuals) so I think I spent like $12 for English for Brooke and I can pass it down to my other kids! Oh, and Brooke actually enjoys it. Does it get any better than that?



Okay, enough about English.



For spelling we are also using Rod and Staff. By the way, we aren't using R&S for anything else, just English and Spelling. I like the spelling too so far. It's cheap and looked simple and got good reviews, so we went with it. Brooke actually enjoys it, too. We are using it pretty informally, no tests yet.


Maybe I'll post later about some other things we are using too:)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Tara, you know I hang on your every word, homeschooler or not! :)
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you get a second, let's talk math!! i've been using math-u-see for 3 years. I like it, I think it's a very logical and intuitive way to teach math, and lucy is doing fine. but, she says she hates math! that makes me feel like a failure. i want her to find it, if not interesting, at least tolerable. as it stands, we do it first every day to 'get it over with.' any thoughts? i also mix it up with games now and then, and miquon math.

    ReplyDelete