What about the word "called?" A couple summers ago when Chad and I were first discussing the possibility of adopting, we asked for advice from a Christian mentor of Chad's (his old youth pastor who was himself in the process of adopting). We asked, "How will we know if we are called-if it's God's will that we adopt?" He told us the best advice, advice that had he not shared, we probably would not have stepped out to adopt. He said, "Adoption is a theme woven throughout the Bible. Christians are called to help the orphans. If you want to do it, and the Bible supports it, then do it!" He said we will not hear a "voice" from the sky and to not look for a "sign." The sign is there; it's called the Bible. Interesting, huh?
If you are not in a position to adopt, then what about helping to sponsor someone else's adoption? Adoption is costly. If you know someone in the process of adoption and you want to be a part of it, how about helping financially? (Financial contributions from friends and family made Ava's adoption possible.) Or how about sponsoring a specific child financially so he or she is more "adoptable?" If you go to Reece's Rainbow, an adoption ministry that facilitates the adoption of children with special needs, mainly Down Syndrome, but other needs as well, you can sponsor a waiting child. You can also view pictures of the children waiting for families.
Here is just one child from Reece's Rainbow with one of the more minor special needs, a cleft lip and palate like Ava. I showed this picture to Ava and she said, "That's me!" Is this little girl not just adorable?

And this little pumpkin over at Reece's Rainbow, who was, by our Creator, hand-crafted with an extra chromosome, is described as happy and calm, very laid back and content by his care-takers. Don't you just want to pick him up and love on him???

And this little guy about breaks my heart.

A family who was adopting out of his orphanage visited him and had this to say:
"...He was just the most pitiful thing. His face needed to be cleaned and I wanted to wash him off so bad! He was sitting up on his own it looked like, but he was super quiet. He was fascinated with my camera but was so pitiful and didn't have much to smile about. :( He looked like a little lover baby that needed some good cuddling. I wanted to hold him so badly. He needs a family to give him the affection he needs! "
Well, that's all for now. I guess I decided to advocate after all because these precious children need people to speak up for them. If anyone is offended, that is not my intent. If this post just gets one person even considering adoption (or considering supporting an adoption) it will be well worth it.






The first thing that came to mind was "Bravo!"
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!!
Blessings
Amy
Tara,
ReplyDeleteYour blog, your prerogative to write whatever you want! That's kind of the point, right, to write what you're passionate about?! :)
It's great to get people thinking about things that maybe they haven't considered before.
Good job!
Love
LeAnn
Dear Tara,
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you remember me or not...I got to know you briefly via home school swim classes...I was the lady with the four boys (I say "was" because we recently welcomed our first daughter into the world!) Anyway, I've been following your adoption blog and now this blog for some time, and I just wanted to let you know what a beautiful family you have! I love family heritages, and I just want to encourage you and let you know that you are laying a wonderful foundation! Thank you for opening your family's heart and lives to the rest of us.
Thanks and Blessings!
You are right Tara--if even one family is moved to adopt after reading your blog--it was well worth it---I really liked the article--Dad too. Love, Mom B.
ReplyDeleteHi Tara--
ReplyDeleteIt is so wonderful to 'meet' you here. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. No, we got Haven in Nanjing--but she is from Kunshan City, about three hours outside Nanjing. She is VERY scarred, mainly around her hip area from being strapped down to a chair. Lots of head scars too. Breaks my heart. She was recently diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder--it has caused her to completely shut down in every area of her life. She is so delayed. But, we have such hope for her future. She is an absolute treasure.
I love how you share your heart for orphans :) Can't wait to read through your blog more---you have such precious children.
Love and hugs
Adeye