I know all you homeschoolers are hanging on the edge of your keyboards for my next homeschool post, so here goes. (hee, hee)
I started a "Blessing Book" with all 4 of my older children. I got the idea from the "Godly Tomatoes" site. Basically, each child has a journal or notebook (my 2 little girls have blank paper stapled together into a book with construction paper covers). I have my kids write in it every day a blessing from the day or about something you are thankful for. My 2 little girls tell me what they want to say and I write it. The goal is to focus on God's blessings (instead of just writing a "journal"), work on composition, and work on grammar, spelling, and punctuation. The kids get to illustrate their page after they write, and the books are so precious to look back on. Kate and Ava are actually starting to recognize some words from doing this.
We like "DRAW WRITE NOW" for writing, too. The kids learn to draw animals step-by-step and then they write about the animal. They enjoy this a lot.
We all like our "I Can Do All Things" art curriculum. It's a 3-year program, so it's very economical. I'm using it with Brooke and Ashton. The curriclum includes drawing, colored pencils, painting, markers, and art appreciation. It's fun and the kids are learning a lot.
What are some of YOUR favorite things to use in your homeschool?






shucks, did i miss part 2? i love the blessing book idea. i think the things the kids and I love the most about our homeschool come from Charlotte Mason philosophy. We love observing nature and looking things up in our field guides. They do keep nature journals, of sorts. We also try to have 'tea time' as often as we can. At the end of the day, we gather around the table for tea and a snack. We read and memorize poetry or read a story or just hang out. Even Victor (the only boy at the moment) enjoys this. I got the idea from Elizabeth Foss.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of the blessing books--its neat to have the kids focus on ALL the blessings we have, including some which we may not otherwise acknowledge!(Tara's Mom)
ReplyDelete